Monday, 12 December 2011

Out of the Wilderness

Should I even mention that this is my first in four months or is it better that I somehow swiftly detour past that minor fact??
And the reasons? Many many reasons- emotional crisis, life crisis, creative crisis, other random crisis...
The point is I have somehow today, in the month before it can be claimed to be a doomed new year's resolution, put my fingers to the act of typing a blog, a long overdue blog it may be but let's just put that down to the occasional creative wilderness we all sufferer. If you do not have this problem then I envy you and ask you to please share with me your secret.
There is a large part of me that wants to dismiss the idea of writers block and I have heard it said by other obviously admirable, hardworking and somewhat superhuman writers that having writers block is just not an option. If you want to write you write, sitting and waiting for the muse really should not be an option- and on a good day I nod enthusiastically at those words, on a bad day I am more likely to scurry away and hide.
I find myself a regular visitor to the creative barren but I do have a few methods to somehow pull me out of it and one of the most successful to me and the one that has brought on this blog is my Writers' Group. I urge every writer to join a writers' group (unless the only writers' group in your area happens to be a bad one, in that case it's better to go without maybe).
My group, Words Out West, meet on the last Wednesday of the month and no matter how my writing has been in the month previous- productive, nil or dire- I always leave with new ideas and more often than not it pulls me out of a 'writing hole'.
So when was the last time you found yourself in the creative wilderness and how did you find your way out of it?

5 comments:

Jessica said...

I know exactly what you mean - I have been suffering from a writing black hole too!

Baggy said...

Welcome back!

Anonymous said...

HI de hi Emma

welcome back

from Dora

Patsy said...

I'm fortunate in not seeming to suffer writers' block. Sometimes everything I write is pretty awful, but I can usually write something.

The best advice I can offer is to write something, even if it's just a few words, at least once a week so you don't get out the habit of writing.

Emma B said...

Lucky you Patsy but that's great advice. I find that once I get out of the writing habit the longer it goes on the harder I find it to get back into it.