Saturday, 30 April 2011

Dreamwriting

This weekend I thought I had discovered the answer to my prayers, a perfect method to develop my novel's plot and characters and it could all be done without losing out on sleep. Reading the current issue of Mslexia I came across Clare Jay's article on Dreamwriting where 'Clare Jay explores a new route to inspiration'.

I have always had vivid dreams that I can remember clearly so the idea of dreamwriting sounded ideal. What Clare describes is using lucid dreaming, whereby the dreamer is aware they are within a dream, in order to explore how a scene might plan out for example, somewhat like a movie director. At was at this point in the article I began to have a little less enthusiasm for the idea. It seemed like an awful lot of thinking to be done at I time I am supposed to be resting.

Clare later goes on to explain how elements of dreams have prompted ideas and it turns out she is not just one of these airy fairy types but she actually has a PhD on the subject! Again, my interest was peaked. Being creative whilst dreaming might not be that restful but it could be a whole area of my life I am failing to tap into and use even if it is only at infrequent intervals.

On the basis of this new tool of creativity I have since made efforts to explore some lucid dreaming but it has not worked. I go to bed thinking that I need to become aware I am dreaming but nothing. I had assumed, dreaming as much as I do normally, this would have come naturally to me, however, up until now my new plan to write while sleeping (it did sound too good to be true) has yet to succeed.

If anyone has had success with lucid dreaming or any tips of how to do this and use it creatively please let me know.

4 comments:

ttofee said...

Sounds interesting - I often dream ideas - although I find unless I write them down right away, they are forgotten. Will have to give this a try - and will pop back and let you know if I have any success!

StForce said...

It’s very similar for me. I often have ideas while sleeping but most of the time they come just as I’m nodding off. If I don’t have my notebook and bed in my room the idea is forgotten.

Emma B said...

I'm like that too StForce. My mind seems to be racing with ideas as I am settling down to sleep.

Royce A Ratterman said...

I, too, get ideas while sleeping.
I have since high school when I wrote poetry. Once we get moved, I'll have the clipboard next to my bed as I did back in 1971.