Monday, 7 February 2011

Virgin on the Airwaves

It is an enlightening moment when you first hear your own voice on the radio and, unless you are overflowing with self-confidence, I can pretty much guarantee you will hate it.

There is a definite argument to be made that what we hear of our own voice differs vastly from what everyone else hears. It would explain why so many people auditioning for the X Factor believe they are amazing only for the cringing public to have to suffer through a terrible performance before the judges promptly dismiss them.

This week I am on Radio Cumbria for the Little Cumbria slot. I actually missed my debut this morning and it was an email from a friend that alerted me (thanks Nick). Catching the drive-time repeat I could not help but feel excited on hearing myself introduced as 'Emma Bragg- a writer from Whitehaven'.

Unfortunately the reality when I did hear myself recounting the arrival of my little sister was one of confusion. To me, it did not even sound like me. For a start I sounded a lot posher than I expected, secondly it was horribly monotone!

On the positive it is exciting knowing my voice is being promoted across the airwaves. Maybe promoted is not the best description, but it is getting out there and there is no harm in that as good preparation for when I am a best-selling author and in high demand on Radio 4.

You can hear my first attempt at radio on listen again here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/p00dfs4s/ and I'll be on Radio Cumbria for the rest of the week at 9.40am with a repeat at about 5.40pm incase you miss it.

A big thank you to everyone who will make the effort to listen.

Emma
(a former radio virgin)
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

3 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

oh how exciting! I spent a day in a studio speaking to radio stations across the country last week (including Radio Cumbria). My first time too and i enjoyed it more than i expected to! I'll try and make a point of listening to your interview!

Steven Chapman said...

Just had a listen, Emma. Great stuff!
You don’t sound monotone, and what’s wrong with sounding posh! :P

Emma B said...

Thanks Crafty Green Poet, would be great if you could give it a listen.

Thanks for the comments Steven, it's reassuring to think I'm being over-critical rather than actually sounding posh-monotone!