Saturday, 18 September 2010

The Writing Exercise Challenge

Due to recent events (i.e. being in hospital) my writing has somewhat teetered into oblivion. With me it seems to be a recurring theme that my writing, on occasion will reduce or disappear, and once that happens it develops into almost a fear to go and sit back down at the desk.

It is a vicious circle- because I am not getting any writing done I feel guilty and not whole but then, because I feel bad about it, I avoid thinking about it and thus avoid doing any writing! The biggest obstacle for most writers is themselves, whether that is the tendency to procrastinate or self-doubt and that is certainly the case for me.

The theory is that once I get back in the habit of sitting at my desk and writing an hour a day I will be back to normal! Not as easy as it sounds. The thought of sitting there and pouring myself onto paper at the moment in disjointed paragraphs and meaningless garble is just... terrifying. It is easy to forget all former success and all previous pieces of writing I did do well with and was proud of when I am so preoccupied by a notion of inferiority because I now feel out of practice.

Thankfully, after weeks of living baron of writing I think I have came up with a possible solution and one that seems so damn obvious that I'm kicking myself for not having done anything sooner. Writing Exercises. That is the solution. I have a book of writing exercises and for the next three weeks I intend to do one writing exercise for an hour a day 5/6 days a week. It seems so obvious and eliminates that fear of not knowing what to write.

The idea of the challenge is that it is realistic and achievable and three weeks should be long enough for sitting down to write for an hour a day to become almost a habit. After three weeks I am hoping. without getting carried away, that my enthusiasm and confidence in writing should be reignited and my productivity be back to a level I am happy with. Either way, I'll have at least 15 pieces of writing from these exercises and some of those are bound to have something I can work on or use.

Wish me luck xx

No comments: