Wednesday, 16 June 2010

Playing the Interviewee

Following my recent small success in having a short story accepted by Flax, which will appear in their anthology at the end of this month, and the regular book reviews and articles I have written for them, Essential Writers will be publishing an interview with me on their website.

Last night I had the pleasant task of reading over the various questions and rambling detailed answers about my inspiration, favourite writers and how I find the time for writing. It was a great experience to be able to do that sort of self-exploration with actual purpose rather than vanity.

I think it helped having to write my answers by email too as it gave me more time to think them through. I have recently discovered that in a face-to-face meeting I am terrible at forgetting names so, when asked about my favourite writers for example, I can maybe only think of two and then all memory of every other book I have read deserts me.

The strange thing is, prior to this, I thought I would feel uncomfortable talking about myself in an interview but in fact I have really enjoyed it. But then, I am not really talking about myself, I am talking about something that I am incredibly passionate about- writing.

The second bit of news is that I have now had sight of the photos from last week's meeting at Lancaster and I am very pleased with their professional appearance. Of course I still grimaced at my goofiness caught on camera! A couple of the photos will form part of my web profile on Litfest which will be going live later this month with the launch of the anthology.

Watch this space for news on the interview. In the mean time I plan to get some actual writing done!

No comments: