Wednesday, 2 June 2010

Another Sad Day for Cumbria

I only got back home at around sixish yesterday morning and I could never have anticipated today's events.

It is more than likely you will have by now heard the shocking news of today's events in Cumbria where a gunman went on a rampage in Whitehaven and across West Cumbria. I live in Whitehaven and was in the town centre shortly after the first shooting.

As I crossed the road near the scene of the first shooting I had no idea the severity of the events seeing the mass of police. My first thought was that it was a road incident. It was only in the bank where I heard that it was a shooting.

The bank was advised to lock the doors and for everyone to move upstairs and stay away from windows. My husband and I were the only customers in branch at the time.

We remained in the bank for ninety minutes until finally it was deamed safe for us to leave as the gunman was confirmed as no longer being in our immediate area.

The latest news is that there are 30 different crime scenes, 12 people have been killed as well as the gunman who took his own life. There are also 25 people injured.

What can I possibly say to express my shock? My wishes go out to all those effected by today's horrific events.

4 comments:

Col Bury said...

I am completely shocked and saddened having watched these tragic events unfold. My heart goes out to all the families and friends of the victims, plus the Cumbrian communities - including you, Emma.

Emma B said...

Thank you for your support Col

jenny wilson said...

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone effected by the shootingss. Very sad xxx

Tanya said...

It was shocking to hear the news of what had happened, as it's not the sort of thing that we're used to in the UK. I remember the reports from Hungerford and Dunblane of course, but gun crimes seem to be much more likely in the US. I can't even begin to imagine how badly this is affecting the communities involved, other than what's reported on the news and in the papers. Hopefully it will lead to stricter gun laws, but whatever happens in that respect will be too late for those who have lost family and friends.