Tuesday, 8 December 2009

Writing in the Dark Months

I have heard that a lot of writers are much more productive in the winter months possible because they are not as busy out and about soaking up the English 'summer'. I seem to swing both ways (which is typical of me).



I can have periods of ravenous writing where I am not distracted by anything else and I feel that my productivity has never been as good. On the other hand I want to curl up and sleep, my major vice and the one that detracts most from my writing.



The only cure for this I have found is to find something inspirational so you can give yourself a kick up the rear and get back on the wagon.



But what if it is more than just feeling a bit of winter hibernation tendencies? When you are feeling down or even run down it can be incredibly difficult to motivate yourself to write, and in some ways it's unhelpful.


I do find the darker months difficult and as a result I find writing hard to sustain which then gets me more down because I am missing out on something I enjoy but then what is the point in dwelling on this. If I cannot bring myself to write then is it really constructive feeling guilty about it, I write for me when it comes down to it and if I am in no mood to write then it is me it effects.


Sometimes I do get a bit lazy about it and need to give myself a kick up the bum and there are various methods of motivation I could use:

1. Get inspired by another writer
2. Watch an inspirational film, ideally involving a writer
3. Don't start with the daunting black piece of paper, instead doodle on it and collate ideas before beginning so you don't feel you're starting from scratch.
4. If you don't feel you can write what you're working on write something else
5. Do a blog entry
6. Talk to other writers
7. Work out where on the shelf you will be alphabetically when you are a published writer


To be honest I think you just have to do whatever works, unless you are one of those beavering winter writers in which case I envy you but at least I shall be writing more in the summer months. But, whatever you do, never feel guilty.

No comments: