Monday, 16 November 2009

NaNoWriMo in November: The Halfway Point

It is the 16th of November and we are officially into the second half of the month which means I am half way through my NaNoWriMo challenge. So how am I doing?



Well the word count, which a week ago I was so proud of now look measly. I am depressingly and predictably behind and beginning to consider giving up in advance of failure. But then this is all to be expected. NaNoWriMo is a tall order and despite trying to get ahead of myself in the early stages life has of course gotten in the way.



I do, probably like most participants, feel like I am writing a load of tripe but I think because you are focusing on quantity not quality you do allow your subconscious to take over. Out of 50,000 words probability tells you there is bound to be something salvageable amongst it!



I have a lot of hard work still to do but I feel that the experience has given me the motivation to sit down and write every day and not to get too worked up about the quality at the first draft stage. Sometimes overthinking hinders the creative process.

No comments: